David Aiken


Pacific War Reunion The Dungeon Doris Miller, Navy Cross


About David

David Aiken has been a technical illustrator since 1966. His work has been in color/industrial research, development, publications, photography, and Museology. His childhood hobby was mineralogy and history. His uncle was a "guest" of the Germans who managed to escape THREE times before successfully returning to Allied lines. That has made Aiken painfully aware of the heartache and post combat stress a family can endure.

This WWII connection led Aiken to study World War II from his earliest book acquisitions at age nine. One volume, "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo", is now signed by some forty of the Doolittle Raiders, including the late General.  In 1961, his study of Pearl Harbor led to a high school thesis and a deeper study of the Pacific War. The USAF sent him to Hickam AFB in 1966-7 which guided his attention, on December 7, 1966, directly on Pearl Harbor's American and Japanese MIA airmen.

Major museums from the National Air/Space Museum to the Australian War Memorial have been in receipt of assistance with their accessions and restorations by David Aiken.

He is currently a Director for the Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc. A non-profit study group founded by members of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association to carry the flag of "Keeping the Record Straight" by holding steadfast to the truth of the battle and dispel the myths that continue to crop up.

Aiken is completing the research for ABOVE PEARL, A Tactical History of 7 Dec 1941. This study details Japanese and American aerial actions of that day, each bomb, each torpedo, each aerial gunner, each crewman, each passenger, each crash...

David Aiken's data base on Japanese aviation and Pearl Harbor has been utilized by students, researchers, artists, authors, historians, museums and miniature builders. He proof read the "Pearl Harbor" article in National Geographic magazine, December 1991, and worked with their Cartographic Division on the maps in that issue. His assistance is noted in many published works, including :

David Aiken: "The Search for Five Hirohito Messengers", MARU (Japanese) magazine, March 1992, p66-77.

David Aiken: "Pearl Harbor Attack & Technical Intelligence Investigation", Re-Pu-Ri-Ka [REPLICA] (Japanese) magazine, January 1990, p47-49.

Hitoshi Yoshimura, with M. Asano, D. Aiken, et al: "Pearl Harbor & 101 Aircraft", Re-Pu-Ri-Ka magazine, January 1990, p84-96. Reprinted in July 1992 issue.

Leatrice Arakaki and John Kuborn: 7 DEC 1941: THE USAF STORY [Hickam AFB, HI: PACAF Office of History; 1991 and reprinted: Wash DC: GPO; 1992].

Stan Cohen: EAST WIND RAIN [Missoula, MT: Pictorial Histories Pub; originally printed 1981, Major revision 1991 (with the PHHA team), corrected 1994].

[NY: Brassey's; 1992]

Stanley Weintraub: LONG DAY's JOURNEY INTO WAR: December 7, 1941 [NY: Dutton; 1991]

Thurston Clarke: PEARL HARBOR GHOSTS [NY: William Morrow; 1991]

Paul Stillwell: BATTLESHIP ARIZONA [Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press; 1990]

Robert C. Mikesh: ZERO: JAPAN's LEGENDARY FIGHTER [Osceola, WI: Motorbooks; 1994]

and many more.


Pacific War Reunion

To: mailto:david_aiken@hotmail.com 

From: "John Di Virgilio" 


I am hard at work setting up a big "Pacific War Reunion" program this coming Dec. 3-7 here in Honolulu, Hawaii.  There will be bus visits to Pearl Harbor, Kaneohe, and Hickam AFB.  The highlight event will be on the USS Missouri on Dec. 6th.  About 200 Japanese veterans will be meeting and shaking hands in with many American veterans! Also on Dec. 6th, there will be a large dinner in Waikiki.  All American, British, Australian, Canadian, Japanese, other WWII veterans, and their families are invited to attend these historic events.  There will be a large signature Reunion/Veterans' Friendship scroll for all the participants to sign - leaving their  names  for the  historic record. 

Admission will be free for base visits and both highlight events! 

For those needing help with hotel accommodations - Outrigger Surf will be your best bet.   The Outrigger Hotel chain here in Hawaii is very supportive of this event and has offered a huge discount (approx.40%) to visiting veterans and their families/friends participating in the Reunion.   A couple can stay at the Waikiki Surf for $63 (tax not included) a night! Two veterans can share a similar room with two twin beds for the same $63 a night.  Add a third bed to the twin room for only $16 a night.  This rate will be good between the dates of Dec.1 through Dec.10, 2000. 

If there are any veterans (US, Japanese, British, Canadian, German, Australian, Family members of veterans, and friends) who are interested in participating, Please contact me e-mail:



John D.

From: David Aiken [david_aiken@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 7:06 PM
To: NoSpam_ken@usspennsylvania.org
Subject: photo

Follow Up Flag: Follow up
Flag Status: Flagged

Hi Ken,
You asked for a photo. Here is a shot taken on 10 Dec 1991 during the huge  "Pearl Harbor Attack" symposium in downtown Honolulu sponsored by the USS Arizona Memorial, Admiral Nimitz Museum, and more. Of the 27 panels, I was on the "Japanese panel". Left to right in the photo are: Zenji Abe, Akagi VAL pilot/ Buntaicho [Squadron leader] second wave. His target was USS Raleigh. David Aiken, student of 7 Dec 1941. Don Goldstein, who produced "At Dawn We Slept".

Others on the panel included:

Takeshi Maeda, Kaga (torpedo) KATE gunner, whose target was USS West 
Virginia. Hirata Matsumura, Hiryu (torpedo) KATE pilot/second-in-command of torpedo attack, leader of Soryu/Hiryu torpedo KATEs.

David Aiken

From: David Aiken [david_aiken@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 9:49 AM
Cc: recipient list not shown:
Subject: Doris Miller & USS Maryland vs VAL

Aloha All,
This attached text has kept me busy for a couple "days". Perhaps this would  halt some of the myths of 7 Dec 1941. I still seek a roster of the 1.1" crew  from USS Maryland which shot down the VAL. This is a part of ABOVE PEARL, the tactical history of that day which is in works.
David Aiken
Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc.
student of 7 Dec 1941

Doris Miller and his Navy Cross: a brief biography

by David Aiken


Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc.

The third of four sons of Henrietta and Conery Miller was born in Waco, Texas on October 12, 1919. Mrs. Miller allowed her midwife to name her son "Doris". He attended school at Kimmonsville and Willow Grove, Texas, but his school records have been lost by county officials.

Beginning on January 25, 1937, at age 17, Doris Miller attended the 8th grade at W.L. Moore High School, Waco, Texas where he played football as fullback. His girlfriend, Mozelle Alexander, lived in Flint, Texas. Even after another year in the 8th grade he did not pass, so he quit school on May 30, 1938. He enjoyed squirrel hunting with his .22 rifle and completed a correspondence course in taxidermy. He tried to join the Civilian Conservation Corps, but was turned down.

Husky, six-foot three inches tall and weighing more than 200 pounds, on 16 Sept 1939, Doris Miller enlisted in the US Navy in Dallas, Texas. He received his initial training at Norfolk Naval Training Station, Virginia, and received the rank of Mess Attendant Third Class. He was given Temporary Assigned Duty aboard USS Pyro (AE-1) on 29 November 1939, before he received his first permanent duty on USS West Virginia (BB-48) on January 2, 1940. His primary duty was as a steward to serve food and bus tables in the Junior Officersí Mess. He volunteered for room steward, an added duty -at $5 a month extra- to wake duty officers, collect their laundry, shine their shoes and make their beds. He entered the shipís heavyweight boxing competitions and won in his division.

Doris Miller went to Secondary Battery Gunnery classes held on USS Nevada (BB-36) twice that summer, from June 14-22, 1940 and from July 1-August 3, 1940, to prepare for his combat duty station, an anti-aircraft battery magazine amidships. On February 16, 1941, he was advanced to Mess Attendant Second Class just before his ship was sent to Pearl Harbor.

On December 7, 1941, the first of nine torpedoes to hit West Virginia was launched at 0757 by Lt. Comdr. Shigeharu Murata of the Japanese carrier Akagi. Twenty-two year old Doris Miller had served breakfast mess duty that morning and was collecting junior officersí laundry at that moment. He ran to his combat station only to find "...that torpedo damage had already rendered it untenable." He then retreated to "Times Square", a spot in the ship where port to starboard and fore to aft passagewayís cross, to be available for other duty.

West Virginiaís Captain Mervin S. Bennion was seriously wounded on the bridge and needed medical attention. A runner got word to Lieutenant Claude V. Ricketts, gunnery officer. He sent Ensign Jacoby and S.F.2/c McKnight forward to get a Pharmacist Mate to assist. Ricketts informed Lt. Comdr. T.T. Beattie, shipís navigator, of the Captainís plight.

Beattie ordered Lt. Comdr. D.C. Johnson, the shipís communication officer, to the bridge to bring the wounded Captain down to the foícísíle (forecastle). Johnson saw Miller at "Times Square" and ordered Miller to accompany him to the bridge. Johnson described Miller as "...a very powerfully built individual having in mind that he might pick up the Captain and carry him below."

On Johnson and Millerís arrival, Captain Bennion was carried on a cot to the top of the ladder leading down from the signal bridge, the cot sagged and almost broke, so they moved him to shelter just aft of the conning tower. Johnson then went forward to the foícísíle (forecastle) and reported to Comdr. Beattie that it was advisable to leave the Captain where he was. At that point, Lt. (jg) Frederic H. White reported to Lt. Comdr. Johnson about an ammo problem forward. Lt. Comdr. John S. Harper, West Virginiaís first lieutenant (third ranking officer aboard), ordered White to go aid the Captain. White was even taller than Miller, with size 14EEE shoes which gave him the nickname, "Mr. Snowshoes".

Lieutenant C.V. Ricketts went to the bridge to find Ensign Vail and Ensign Victor Delano with the Captain in the starboard doorway to the Admiralís walk. Radioman John F. Glass and several signalmen, including Earl W. Harshberger, Jr., were nearby. Lt.(jg) F.H. White arrived shortly afterwards and saw the "Captainís abdomen was cut apparently by a fragment of bomb, about three by four inches, with part of his intestines protruding."

Ensign Vail was ordered by the Captain to the boat deck to send the AA gun crews to the USS Tennessee to assist in return fire. Ricketts was questioned repeatedly by the Captain about the condition of the ship. Captain Bennion did not want to be moved. Chief Pharmacist Mate L.N. Leak arrived with a first aid kit and dressed the wound as best he could. Radioman Glass was assisting Leak when Captain Bennion noted that Glass had a cut upper lip. After Leak attended to both the wounded, Glass followed the Captainís order to go below to close watertight doors and hatches, while the battle raged around them.

A total of thirteen D3A Bakugekiki (dive bombers) had targeted USS Maryland, forward of USS Tennessee. Seaman First Class Chris Beal was the "trainer" on USS Marylandís 5" AA gun #4, "I saw a group of five come in from the port-quarter angle and a few bombs fell between Maryland and Oklahoma and we got mist of oily water on us.... I still remember their Ďbanshee death wailí as they dived on us, then the whistle of bombs, near misses, and the engine re-gaining altitude as they pulled up over us..."

The planes were too fast for the 5" guns, but not for the shipís 1.1" guns. Planes were coming on a straight course for Maryland which gave her gunners an almost Ďstillí target with an ever decreasing range. The second plane in the dive was hit by AA fire from the forward 1.1 inch gun crew on the portside of the mainmast of USS Maryland. Beal saw the damaged plane, "...one of them smoked and made a rattling, irregular engine noise..." and it crashed east of Pearl Harbor. The USS Maryland victory is officially claimed. Japanese kodochosho (combat reports) reveal this was the sole plane shot down in the time frame and near USS West Virginia.

On West Virginia, White later said, "Under direction of Lieutenant Ricketts, material to construct a stretcher on which to lower the Captain was procured, while D. Miller, Matt.2c, and I manned #1 and #2 machine gun forward of the conning tower." Miller didnít know very much about the machine gun. White and Delano told him what to do. Miller knew both officers well from his room steward duty. Delanoís attention was diverted, but expected Miller to feed the ammunition to one gun. Instead, White loaded ammo into both guns, and assigned Miller the starboard gun. Later Delano looked back at Miller and was surprised to see him firing.

Doris Miller remarked in 1942, "It wasnít hard. I just pulled the trigger and she worked fine. I had watched the others with these guns. I guess I fired her for about fifteen minutes. I think I got one of those Jap planes. They were diving pretty close to us." In 1990, White said, "One of the planes that he (Miller) was shooting at, and everyone else in the bay was shooting at, went down. He felt very pleased with that. And I donít blame him. But there were a lot of other guys shooting at it also." Victor Delano said in 1993, "I did see Miller shooting but I would term it rather wild so I doubt that he hit anything. I certainly did not see him shoot down a plane." The USS West Virginia never put in a claim for any aircraft shot down.

Time can seem forever but it was not long to find a stretcher. Lt. Ricketts had located an eight foot ladder and lashed Captain Bennion to it and tied a line on each end in hope to lower the Captain to the boat deck. Due to the shipís list at that moment, an unsuccessful attempt was made. However, a serious oil fire started and the boat deck was evacuated. The Captain kept insisting that he be left and all go below. Smoke and fire were on all sides. Even the bridge had to be evacuated to get air, leaving the Captain. On return, Ricketts found Bennion partially conscious and the ladder had one end on the shield from the attempt to lower the Captain.

Ricketts returned aft out of the smoke to get help. He had White, Miller, and Chief Signalman A.A. Siewart to help him unlash the Captain and carry him up to the navigation bridge out of the smoke. Not too soon as the area where they had been was immediately covered with flames. Ricketts, White and "one enlisted man" were passed a fire hose from USS Tennessee and began fighting the flames when Pharmacist Mate Leak came, "Mr. Ricketts, the Captain is about gone." On Leakís return, Captain Bennion was dead.

With the attack concluded, and after abandoning the bridge, White ordered Miller to help him rescue sailors from the water to the shipís quarter-deck, as Commander R.H. Hillenkoetter, the executive officer, said, "...saving the lives of a number of people who might otherwise have been lost".

Preliminary reports were written. Then, Commander R.H. Hillenkoetter, the senior surviving officer, wrote his report on December 11. The reports from all the harborís ships and shore facilities, and the addendums were gathered by Lt. Commander Paul C. Crosley, Aide and Flag Secretary to the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet, Admiral Husband Kimmel and later Admiral Chester Nimitz. The process of confirmation and then giving commendations to all personnel cited in the hundreds of reports began.

On December 15, 1941, Miller was transferred to USS Indianapolis (CA-35) where he served the next 17 months. Among the news on New Years Day, 1942, of the Naval commendations for 7 Dec actions, the sole commendation to a Negro was released, though his actual name was not mentioned. Without knowing the deeds accomplished, the NAACP asked President Roosevelt to give the Distinguished Service Cross to this unknown (living or dead) Negro sailor.

Admiral Kimmelís main document and supportive documents detailing the attack and copies of commendations were forwarded to Washington DC. The Navy Board of Awards was established on February 12, 1942. A Navy spokesman recommended that the unknown Negro sailor be considered for an award.

The unknown Negro mess man was named to the 1941 Honor Roll of Race Relations. On March 12, 1942, Dr. Lawrence D. Reddick announced, after corresponding with the Navy, that he found the name was "Doris Miller." The next day, Senator James N. Mead introduced a Senate Bill to award Miller the Medal of Honor, without knowing what Millerís deeds were for the basis of such award.

On 14 March 1942, The Pittsburgh Courier released a story that named the black mess man as "Dorie" Miller. This is the earliest found use of "Dorie", an apparent typographical error. Some sources have further misspelled the name to "Dore" and "Dorrie". Various writers have attributed "Dorie" to other suggestions such as a "nickname to shipmates and friends"...or "the Navy thought he should go by the more masculine-sounding Dorie." On 17 March, Representative John D. Dingwell, Democrat from Michigan, introduced a matching bill as the one in the US Senate to award to Miller the Medal of Honor. On 21 March, The Pittsburgh Courier initiated a write-in campaign to send Miller to the Naval Academy.

Letters of Commendations from the Secretary of the Navy were finally issued. Millerís commendation of April 1, 1942, cited his "distinguished devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and disregard of his personal safety during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. While at the side of his Captain on the bridge, Miller despite enemy strafing and bombing, and in the face of serious fire, assisted in moving his Captain, who had been mortally wounded, to a place of greater safety and later manned and operated a machine gun until ordered to leave the bridge."

On April 2, CBS radio series "They Live Forever" dramatized Doris Millerís actions.

The Secretary of the Navy, Frank Knox, sent a letter, on April 9, to the US House of Representatives Chairman of Naval Affairs, which outlined the requirements of the Medal of Honor versus the deeds of Miller, and recommended against an award of the Medal of Honor.

During the All-Southern Negro Youth Conference of April 17-19, a signature campaign was launched to give proper recognition to Doris Miller. Millerís parents were brought to the conference and awarded a $100 defense bond.

On May 10, The National Negro Congress denounced Frank Knoxís recommendation to decline the Medal of Honor for Miller. But the next day, President Franklin D. Roosevelt approved the Navy Cross, the Navyís highest medal, for Miller. This was presented on May 27 aboard USS Enterprise by Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Millerís rank was raised to Mess Attendant First Class on June 1. On June 27, The Pittsburgh Courier called for Miller to be allowed to return home for a war bond tour like white heroes. The following November 23, Miller arrived to Pearl Harbor, and was ordered on a war bond tour while still attached to USS Indianapolis. In December and January he gave talks in Oakland, California; in his home town of Waco, Texas; in Dallas, Texas; and to the first graduating class of Negro sailors from Great Lakes Naval Training Station, Chicago, Illinois.

The Pittsburg Courier continued to hammer to return Miller for a war bond tour in the February 6, 1943 issue. The caption to Millerís photo read, "He fought...Keeps Mop", while another hero of Pearl Harbor got a commission. It said that Miller was "too important waiting tables in the Pacific to return him", even though he was already on tour.

Doris Miller reported for duty at Puget Sound Navy Yard on May 15, 1943, and his rank was again raised to Shipís Cook Third Class on June 1 as he reported to USS Liscome Bay (CVE-56), an aircraft carrier. After training in Hawaii and in the Gilbert Islands, the Liscome Bay participated in the Battle of Tarawa beginning November 20. On November 24, the ship was torpedoed near the Gilbert Islands by the Japanese submarine I-175 and sank in 23 minutes. There were 242 survivors. The rest of the crew was listed as "presumed dead". On December 7, Mr. & Mrs. Conery Miller were notified their son was "Missing in Action."

A memorial service was held on April 30, 1944, at the Waco, Texas, Second Baptist Church, sponsored by the Victory Club. On May 28, a granite marker was dedicated at Moore High School to honor Miller. On November 25, 1944, The Secretary of Navy announced that Miller was "presumed dead."

The Doris Miller Foundation was organized by Reverend Elmer L. Fowler, in 1947, to give an annual award to the individual or group considered outstanding in the field of race relations. In April 1949, Doris Millerís father, Conery, died of a heart attack.

On December 7, 1971, the Bachelor Enlisted Quarters at Great Lakes Naval Base was dedicated to Millerís memory. On June 3, 1972, Mrs. Henrietta Miller launched destroyer escort USS Miller (FF-1091), named for Doris. It was commissioned on June 30, 1973. On February 23, 1982, a monument dedicated to Miller is at the Waco Veterans Medical Center, Waco, Texas, and the drive into the center was renamed Doris Miller Drive. On June 7, 1982, Mrs. Miller died. On Dec. 10, 1992, a former shopping center in San Antonio, Texas, was named "Dorie Miller Center." It was meant to be a recreational area, police department outpost, and a social service agency. Also in San Antonio is the "Dorie Miller Elementary School." There are other buildings named for him in several states.

Alas, myths have clouded the memory of Doris Miller. Most revolve around Millerís "manning a machine gun". This is usually expanded into "shooting down" aircraft. The Pittsburgh Courier claims Miller shot down four! ...as many as "six" kills have been cited. The Waco Messenger, Waco, Texas, was more objective quoting Miller as only shooting at the Japanese planes. His actual deeds for his help with Captain Bennion and for saving lives are forgotten in the movie heroics of actor Elven Havard in Tora, Tora, Tora or Cuba Gooding, Jr. in Pearl Harbor.

May we remember Doris Miller for what he did.



Boeicho: Akagi, Kaga, Soryu and Hiryu Kodochosho

correspondence with:

Chris Beal, USS Maryland, Pearl Harbor Survivors Association (PHSA)

Victor Delano, USS West Virginia, PHSA, Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc. (PHHA)

Steve Levin, reporter, Dallas Morning News

Jesse Pond, USS Chew, PHSA, PHHA

LeRoy Ramsey, author of:


Aloha All,

The "Pearl Harbor" filming had an accident and this report is via a Confederate Air Force museum friend.


David Aiken

Date: 04/18/2000 2:22:21 AM Central Daylight Time
From: Gary Hudson

Hello All:

I guess by now you have all seen the newscasts about the airplane crash at the filming of "Pearl Harbor" in Hawaii. This is to quash any rumors and let you all know what happened and what is going on now. First: The airplane that crashed was a "Val" replica being flown by Gene Armstrong. It was the "231" Val, owned by the CAF. Second: Gene is OK. He suffered a broken finger, badly lacerated lip, and a bad black eye. He is out of the emergency room and being put into a "regular" room. He is sore and banged up, but amazingly in good shape. He is expected to be out of the hospital in a couple days. Third: What happened? We were in a flight of three Vals. Lead, me #2, and Gene #3. We were flying along a line of "dummy" P-40's simulating a bomb run for the cameras. We were supposed to fly down the line and they were going to blow several P-40s and a DC-3. We had previously done 4 passes behind the Zeros, but this pass was just the three Vals. We made one pass at 100 ft to check line and clearance from obstacles. The next pass was a rehearsal pass, "at altitude" to check camera view. The final pass was a "hot, cameras rolling, smoke only" pass. We were about 20 to 30 feet above the ground, in a "V" formation with about 10 ft separation, at about 140 knots. Immediately after passing the cameras, I heard a loud thump. I glanced to my left and saw Gene's Val inverted with the left wing missing. We were climbing out and I transmitted to Lead, "2's here.".

There was a lot of talk on the radio at that time. Lead and I did a circuit and then landed. I landed short and turned off before getting to the crash scene. I still have not seen the airplane, but at that time, I assumed Gene was gone and didn't really want to go down there. Gene had struck a palm tree on the set with his left wing, about 3 feet from the tip and the entire wing separated at the wing attach points. The airplane then snapped rolled left and struck the ground in an upright position and then tumbled to inverted before coming to rest. There was no fire although the tanks were almost full. I assume it did not burn because the engine tore loose and continued about 80 feet further than the fuselage.

About 20 minutes after shutdown, I was told Gene was alive, but badly hurt and was being transported. Lastly: What caused this? I really can't say. We had been down the line several times with the Zeros and one rehearsal without a problem. Gene and I were "stacked up" from Lead so altitude should have not been a problem. Maybe Gene just drifted to his left. I don't know. Well, that's about it. About halfway through this, I had to go down and give a statement to Disney's lawyers. NTSB will be here tomorrow. I can say that, while the flying we are doing is low, tight and fast, I don't find it any more dangerous than air shows.  Sometimes, truly, "Fate is the Hunter".


Ps: Ms Sandra Armstrong just returned from the hospital and tapped on my door. She says Gene is sore but doing fine. He is in a room now (not the chapel, which is where he should spend the night).

Aloha Katsushi Owaki Sama,

Here is a nice candid (copyright) shot taken this weekend during the attack filming of the Walt Disney movie at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. Thought you would like a view. There was so much going on, and -alas- much in error.



movieKATEtorp_01.jpg (47785 bytes)


From: david aiken
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2000 6:29 AM
Subject: Filming in Pearl Harbor

Hi Ken,
The filming is going well in Pearl Harbor. The coolest news is that the dude
with the LIVE camera on the internet of the USS Arizona is contemplating
moving the camera just a few degrees to the RIGHT which would give us an
excellent view of USS Missouri (stand in for BB Row), USS Whipple (moored
next to MO) and a new ship that tied up behind them yesterday.

See his camera at: <http://www.dohc.com/aloha/>

Of interest, Sean Fierst popped up this morning with a new web site giving
his still photos taken yesterday during the filming. He is on Ford Island
and the views are quite close!

See his stills at: <http://www.GeoCities.com/sc21cool/pearlharbor.htm>

The new message board at the Pearl Harbor movie fan web site has a load of
observations by people watching the filming. For about two days this site
had four concept drawings, but -perhaps due that the errors were so bad- the
movie company took them off. Attached are two.

David Aiken

From: david aiken [david_aiken@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 5:26 AM
Subject: Fwd: Senior Project

Hi all,
I am forwarding this request on to you as historian, Pearl Harbor veteran,
OR son or daughter of a Pearl Harbor veteran. You may have a reflection
which may be different from mine as seen from your own perspective. That
thought may help this student of history get deeper into the chosen topic. I
only wish I had access to such variety of testimony when I was researching
my high school thesis on Pearl Harbor in 1961.

Thank you,
David Aiken
still a student of 7 Dec 1941

From: "mpz" <mpz@cobweb.net
To: <David_Aiken@hotmail.com
Subject: Senior Project
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:59:28 -0500

Dear Mr. Aiken,

     My name is Matt Zidik and I'm a senior at Upper St. Clair High School
in Pittsburgh, PA.  At the end of the year, each senior in each English
class is required to take part in a major project that lasts the whole
second semester, and it can deal with any topic of our choice; I chose
Pearl Harbor.  I received your name and email address from a website in
which you helped a sixth grader with her project, and i was hoping you
could help me out as well. My project has several parts in which we must
partake in, one of which is three interviews. I'm going to interview one of
the American history teachers in my school and my partner is going to
interview his grandfather, who was stationed on an air craft carrier
outside of Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack.  So if it wouldn't be too
much trouble, i would really appreciate it if you could answer the
following questions for me:

1)Do you feel the US would have still entered the war if the attack on
  Pearl Harbor never occurred? Why?

2)Do you think the US has learned to be more prepared in case of another
  sneak attack?  And how prepared are we?

3)Do you think it was wise to station so much of the US's naval power in
  one location?

4)What was the first thing the United States did in response to the
  Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?  What do you think they should have done
  in response?

5)Do you think there is any hostility towards people of Japanese decent
  living in the US today?

Thank you very much for whatever help you can give me regarding these
questions. If possible, could you please respond to me be Thursday, March
16th.  My email address is mpz@cobweb.net   Thank you again.

     Matt Zidik