usa-clear.gif (10636 bytes)Major Kenneth D. Baileyusa-clear.gif (10636 bytes)

Medal of Honor Recipient


Sent: Monday, February 22, 1999 10:43 PM
Subject: (no subject)


I don't know if this will go through. It is nearly a megabyte not sure why because I have not scanned many things. Anyway, after my mom attended the reunion in San Diego, I started looking through some old things. My dad was stationed on the Pennsy from 38-May of 41. Here is a list of the Marine Detachment prior to the war. Perhaps you have software that can cut it down to size. I also have a picture of four Marine officers on the Pennsylvania. One of them, K.D. Bailey, was killed on Guadalcanal and was given the Medal Of Honor. If you would like it for your site, I would be glad to send it too. 

Tom Godwin

Sent: Sunday, April 11, 1999 10:17 AM
Subject: Pennsylvania Marine Officers

Hi Ken,

I've been corresponding with so many folks that I clean forget what I may or may not have sent you regarding your WEB site on the Pennsy. Here is a picture of the Marine Corp Officers on board the Pennsy circa 1940. I don't think I sent this one to you. Names were verified by a Sgt Chester Meck (ret) and Lt. Col. Warren H. Simpson USMC (ret).


Onboard the USS Pennsylvania

The Marine Campaign For Guadalcanal

Major Kenneth D. Bailey, commander of Company C, 1st Raider Battalion, was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for heroic and inspiring leadership during the Battle of Edson's' Ridge.

Here is the text of the Medal of Honor citation for Kenneth Bailey


Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 21 October 1910, Pawnee, Okla. Appointed from: Illinois. Other Navy awards: Silver Star Medal. Citation: For extraordinary courage and heroic conduct above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of Company C, 1st Marine Raider Battalion, during the enemy Japanese attack on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 12-13 September 1942. Completely reorganized following the severe engagement of the night before, Maj. Bailey's company, within an hour after taking its assigned position as reserve battalion between the main line and the coveted airport, was threatened on the right flank by the penetration of the enemy into a gap in the main line. In addition to repulsing this threat, while steadily improving his own desperately held position, he used every weapon at his command to cover the forced withdrawal of the main line before a hammering assault by superior enemy forces. After rendering invaluable service to the battalion commander in stemming the retreat, reorganizing the troops and extending the reverse position to the left, Maj. Bailey, despite a severe head wound, repeatedly led his troops in fierce hand-to-hand combat for a period of 10 hours. His great personal valor while exposed to constant and merciless enemy fire, and his indomitable fighting spirit inspired his troops to heights of heroic endeavor which enabled them to repulse the enemy and hold Henderson Field. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.